Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Revising the first chapter

While re-reading the first chapter, I noticed I left some things out that I feel should be introduced in the story.  For instance, the main villain of the story, Count Menneken, isn't truly the overseer of the town Mayfield, where Leo and his family reside.  He's just the overseer of the entire province, in other words all four towns that belong to that province. 


So, with that in mind, I noticed that the town didnt have some sort of governed body, which I thought was a little absurd.  I actually have a character who happens to be a puppet for Count Menneken, and he's a lord.  Why not place him as the governor of Mayfield? 

So now, officially introducing Lord Dominick!  Tall, lanky, hair to the shoulders, dresses nice, but he has just the worst luck with natural events, and he pouts and complains about it ALL the time.  He was already in the story, and he's sort of a villain (more of a stuck-up pushover), so I think it's fitting to make him the comedy relief for the chapter and more. 

He was originally going to be introduced much much later in the story, toward the end actually, but I think it's a better idea to introduce him right off the bat, especially since the first chapter needs some funny in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment